WHAT IS MY IP ADDRESS
This is a world where people have the freedom to access the digital world. It is a society where few restrictions bound people to how they access the web every single day. Transfer of data and exchange of information is what the internet is all about, and IP addresses are just some of the things which make them possible.
An IP is an acronym for Internet Protocol, so IP address means Internet Protocol address. By way of simple definition, it is a unique number assigned to hardware capable of connecting to the internet. It is this IP which allows for communications between one hardware and another over the internet. There are different types of IP addresses: dynamic IP addresses, public IP addresses, private IP addresses and static IP addresses.
FUNCTIONS OF AN IP ADDRESS
- The main purpose of an IP address is to give identification to a networked hardware device. What this means is it identifies one particular device among the many others connected to it. A more vivid and practical example is this: The house you live in has an address which identifies it in a street of many other houses, and that is essentially what IP addresses do; they identify a device networked to many other devices.
- Another function it serves is providing a location of the networked hardware device. It does this through DNS (Domain Name Servers). DNS simply serves as a “phonebook” for computers, so the computer uses DNS to “look up” IP addresses, similar to how you use a phonebook to look up house addresses.
MY IP ADDRESS
This can be one of two kinds:
PRIVATE IP ADDRESS: This kind of IP address is labeled as a private one because its functions lie within a private network such as the one used in a home. The prime purpose of such an IP is to provide a medium where all your hardware devices can communicate with each other and with a router too.
These devices don’t necessarily have to be connected to the internet in order for them to communicate with each other. For example, transferring data from the computer to a printer. The IP can be set by the individual or the router can be assigned to automatically set it. Since it is a private IP, it is either static or dynamic, and this simply means it either changes or remains constant.
- PUBLIC IP ADDRESS: A public IP address is assigned by your ISP (Internet Service Provider). This is the default address that a home network uses to access the infinite networked devices around the world. In other words, it is the address used to access and browse the internet. It enables your hardware devices to reach your ISP to communicate with other computers or the web. Just like a private IP addresses, a public one is also be static or dynamic.
HOW TO FIND MY SERVER’S IP ADDRESS
There are several ways you can use to find your server or website’s IP address.
- Ping Command: This utilizes a personal computer’s command prompt. Open Command Prompt on your computer by pressing the Windows key and then typing cmd. When the command prompt window opens up, type ping and press the spacebar key on your keyboard. After that, type the server host name.
- Look up Service: Some sites offer a global DNS checker as part of their services. One of such sites is www.nexcess.net. Click on the following link which will redirect you to the website: https://www.nexcess.net/resources/tools/global-dns-checker/ after that, you will be given an empty field (Domain field) where you can input the server’s host name. Then select A in the Record Type list. The last step is to click the Lookup button. The IP address of the server will thus be revealed.
The majority of modern phones come with either IOS or Android operating system. Both operating systems have different ways you can locate the local IP address, but finding public IP addresses is the same for both of them. To find the public IP address, simply open the phone’s web browser and type https://www.whatip.com/ or WhatsMyIP.org. To find the local IP address, the firsts step is to make certain the mobile device (Android or IOS) is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- ANDROID: For Android, the steps are simple and short. Simply go to Settings > Wireless > Wi-Fi. When this opens up, tap on the network the phone is connected to. Doing that will bring up a notification indicating network specifics. Among these will be the IP address.
- IOS: For IOS or Apple iPhone, maneuver to Settings > Wi-Fi networks. Tap on the blue arrow or marker on the right hand side of iPhone’s network. Doing this will open up a screen detailing the network specifics. The IP address will be displayed on it.
HOW DO I FIND MY ROUTER’S IP ADDRESS
Finding your router’s IP address is imperative for a number of reasons. For one, you need the address to make settings or change configuration settings in the router’s page. That is to say this IP address is what will be typed in a web browser to open the router’s setup page. Finding this address is possible through several ways for either Microsoft Windows or Apple Mac OS X.
- Command Prompt: This is the easiest method. Open Command Prompt on your computer by pressing the Windows key and then typing cmd. When the command prompt window opens up, type ipconfig/all and press enter key on your keyboard. The window that opens up will reveal information about your IP. Simply look for “Default Gateway”. The numbers next to it is the IP address.
MAC OS X
- System Preferences: Click on the Apple menu bar above the screen of the Mac and select “System Preferences”, then click on “Network Icon”. After selecting the network connection, click the “Advanced button” below the screen. In the Network window, selecting “TCP/IP” will reveal the router’s IP address.
Following the directions outlined in the course of this article will definitely guide you to find Your IP address, that of your router and its location.